Celebrate the new year at the annual FREE Kagami-Biraki festival, hosted by the Japanese American Service Committee and Tohkon Judo Academy. The festivities will begin with the traditional rice pounding ceremony, Mochi-Tsuki. Complimentary sweet rice cakes, Mochi, will will available to all participants. Rev. Fumioka will perform a traditional Japanese Tenrikyo purification service, and entertainment will be provided by Kokyo Taiko, Chicago Aikido Club, and Tohkon Judo Academy. We will conclude with a potluck fellowship luncheon, and we ask for your support in bringing a serving of one of your specialties to share with others. The festival will also include a live entertainment. Attendees are encouraged to bring a potluck item and will also have the opportunity to try mochi (sweet rice cakes).
Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
4427 N. Clark St., Chicago, Illinois
CLICK HERE for more info.
Schedule of Events
- 8am-noon- traditional Mochi-Tsuki rice pounding (complimentary Mochi)
- noon-Tenrikyo Oharai purification ceremony by Rev Goro Oki
- 12:40pm-Kokyo Taiko Japanese drumming performance
- 1:10pm- demonstration by Chicago Aikido Club
- 1:30pm- demonstration by Tohkon Judo Academy
- 2:00pm- potluck fellowship luncheon
Share the Facebook event page with your friends and family!