How are you doing on your Chicago New Year’s resolutions? Focusing on our health is on everyone’s mind at this time of the year, including the staff at Free Things to Do in Chicago. Like you, many people rush to join health clubs or take on ambitious workout programs on their own. The key is to get exercise on a regular basis so we want to point out to you a number of free things to you can with your family and kids to get more healthy in 2010. According to Sharone Aharon, Fitness Trainer and Owner of Well Fit in Chicago, you can improve your fitness with just 10 simple free exercises. No expensive equipment or gym membership is required.
Cardio work: it’s the easiest, simplest and most effective way to get your body in shape, Sharone says. Ofcourse, teh easiest free way to get in shape is just to start walking. Walking can be done anywhere and safest way for developing cardio vascular fitness and optimal fat utilization.
- Interval training – boost your fitness level, maximizing calorie consumption and the best form of exercise for weight loss.
- Strength training: best for increasing muscle mass and basal metabolic rate. Focus on exercise that uses multiple muscles, Sharone advises. Start slow with light weight and change your routine every 4 to 6 weeks
- Squats – develop all the major muscles of the lower body at once, back, gluts, hamstrings and quadriceps
- Lunges – is an advanced and more functional form of squat
- Pushups – work on the chest, shoulder triceps and the trunk core muscle
- Rows – works all the major muscles of the upper back and biceps
- Pull-ups – works mainly the back and shoulder muscles but also engage the biceps and forearm muscles
- Abdominal work – useful in improving performance in most physical activity and improve lower back pain
- Bridges – very effectively improve lower back strength
- Hip abduction/adduction – will help stabilizing the hip knees and form lean line thighs