Things to Do with Kids in Chicago this weekend in December 2013 — Make plans now to come out and enjoy the FREE eighth annual Polar Adventure Days series, taking place on December 7, January 25, and February 22. Families can enjoy winter activities and explore Northerly Island and come face-to-face with live animals, engage in winter activities, and create nature-inspired crafts. Dress for the weather as events take place both outdoors and inside the visitor center.
Free hot cocoa to the first 500 participants!
Dress for the outdoors. Call to confirm scheduled activities. You can also sip hot cocoa, enjoy fun games with the whole family and snowshoe (if there is snow). These events are free and no registration is required. Cool things to do include:
Take part in the following activities at Polar Adventure Days:
- Various live animals will be on site to discover, such as birds of prey from Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation and coyotes from Big Run Wolf Ranch.
- Dog sledding demonstrations with huskies of Free Spirit Siberian Rescue.
- Live entertainment from The Dreamtree Shakers from Old Town School of Folk Music.
- Arts and craft tables led by different organization each month for making nature-inspired creations. December features Imagine Art; January features the Art Institute of Chicago; and February features the National Mexican Museum of Art.
- Toddler zone that features outdoor “ice fishing.”
- REI winter activity station.
- Free snowshoe rental for exploration of the island if there is enough snow.
- Free hot cocoa to the first 500 participants.
Saturday * December 7 * January 25 * February 22
Noon – 4 p.m.
Location : Northerly Island
1400 S. Lynn White Dr.