Are you looking for something to do after opening presents and celebrating Christmas in 2013 in Chicago? Of course, there is the standard “let’s go see a movie” but there are other options for you to consider. A number of Chicago places are open and ready for you to get out and stretch your legs. Here’s some suggestions on what to do in Chicago on Christmas 2013. If you still need to do some last minute shopping, or pick up a cheese tray on the way to grandma’s, there are a few places open in Chicago on Christmas: Walgreens, CVS, Denny’s, I-Hop, and Starbucks will be open at most locations.
PLEASE CALL AND CONFIRM BEFORE YOU GO as things may change. Here’s a round-up:
Lincoln Park Conservatory, 2391 N. Stockton. Winter Flower and Train Show. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call (312) 742-7736.
Garfield Park Conservatory – The Garfield Park Conservatory will observe Chicago Park District Shut Down Days during the holiday season. We will be closed on Christmas Eve (Tues., December 24), but we will be open on Christmas Day (Wed., December 25). (312) 746-5100, 300 N. Central Park Ave., Chicago, IL 60624-1996 http://www.garfield-conservatory.org/
Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake Cook, Glencoe. Holiday events include ice skating, the miniature train exhibit, and trees and shrubs decorated with more than 750,000 lights. Hours: 8 a.m. to sunset. Admission and parking are free. Call (847) 835-5440; www.chicagobotanic.org.
Morton Arboretum, on Illinois 53, just north of Interstate 88, Lisle: The arboretum’s 1,700 acres with hiking trails are open from 7 a.m. to sunset. The Children’s Garden and Visitor Center are closed. Restrooms are available. Admission today is free. Call (630) 725-2066; www.mortonarb.org.
The Sky Deck at the Sears Tower (…er.. Willis Tower) , open 365 days a year, 10am to 8pm, theskydeck.com
Millennium Park Ice Skating, 55 N. Michigan. Hours 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free; $10 for skate rental. Call (312) 742-1168. click here
SOME OF OUR MOST POPULAR CHRISTMAS POSTS
- Our Best Christmas Freebie – FREE PHOTOSHOP program this Christmas
- Free Admission to Chicago Museums in the Month of DECEMBER 2013
- 2013 New Year’s Eve Free Fireworks in Chicago
- 25+ Fun Things to Do in Downtown Chicago in 2013
- Get FREE Starbucks Coffee Every Day in Jan 14
- 12 Days of Christmas Freebies from Apple
- Free Christmas Caroling Fridays at The Bean
- Top 25+ Coolest Stores to Shop at Christmas in Chicago
- Great Christmas Holiday Travel freebies/savings at our sister Site FREE MILES TRAVELER
- FREE MUSEUM PASSES IN CHICAGO for Christmas Break
- Sign up for FREE online college courses for January 2014
- Top 10 College Majors for 2014 Employment
- Free Irish Christmas Market in Chicago’s Lincoln Square
- FREE Chicago Polar Adventure Days This 2014 Winter
Chicago Critical Mass Monthly Bike Ride on Dec 26, Daley Plaza, 50 W. Washington. Event begins at 5:30 p.m. Bike route determined day of event. Call (773) 710-4143; www.chicagocriticalmass.org.
Baha’i Temple, Linden and Sheridan, Wilmette. The visitor’s center is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The auditorium for prayers is open 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Free. Call (847) 853-2300.
The Magnificent Mile Lights Festival continues along North Michigan Avenue. Call (312) 642-3570; www.themagnificentmile.com.
Daley Plaza, 50 W. Washington. Visit the city’s annual Christmas Tree. Call (312) 744-3315; www.cityofchicago.org/specialevents.
John Hancock Center, 875 N. Michigan. The observatory is opened from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Admission: $20, adults; $15 for those ages 3-11; free for those under 3. Call (888) 875-8439; Breathe in the fresh air on the highest outdoor public space in the U.S. and engage all of your senses. www.hancockobservatory.com
BARS AND PUBS OPEN ON CHRISTMAS
- Hopleaf 5148 N Clark St
- O’Donovan’s 2100 Irving Park Rd
- Northdown Cafe and Taproom 3244 N Lincoln Ave
- Delilah’s 2771 N Lincoln Ave
- The Owl 2521 N Milwaukee Ave
- Haymarket Pub and Brewery 737 W Randolph
- Rainbo Club 1150 N Damen Ave
- Bangers & Lace 1670 W Division St
- Lottie’s Pub 1925 W Cortland St
- Ricochet’s Bar 4644 N Lincoln Ave