Happy Pi Day 2016! What is Pi Day and why is it so special? National Pi Day falls on March 14 and math whizzes across the globe will join together to honor the mathematical constant pi. Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. This irrational number begins with 3.14 — hence the March 14 celebration — and is estimated to continue for 10 trillion digits. While the concept of pi has been alive for nearly 4,000 years, National Pi Day wasn’t established until 1988 by Larry Shaw, a physicist at San Francisco’s Exploratorium science museum.
It also spells huge savings. While Pi Day is traditionally known for deals on pizza and pie itself, lately it’s become a giant sale day, with many tech companies capitalizing on the momentum. The pizza deals have a spin on the whole 3.14 fun but on the tech front, the deals are simply gigantic sale days.
Today’s Best Sales:
79% Off GOgroove Kids Collectible Bluetooth Speakers + Free Prime Shipping
**Full video demo right here. Night light (smaller speaker model) deal right here.
**Non-Prime Members can score free shipping with this free 30 day trial
PIZZA PI DAY DEALS AND FREEBIES
$3.14 Pizza At Blaze Pizza Today – **Check to see if there’s a location near you
Free Pizza Hut Pizza For Math Experts – **Beginning at 8am EST, answer math world problems correctly on The Pizza Hut blog and you could win free pizza for 3.14 years.
$3.14 Discount On Sweet Pies, $2 Off Pizza At Whole Foods – **Valid at select participating locations
Magnolia Bakery This is one of our favorite places and they are promoting personal-sized caramel apple hand pies as well as blueberry hand pies for $4 each. Their location is at 108 N. State St., www.magnoliabakery.com.
Shake Shack – They are offering different deals at different locations — For you suburban folks, the Shake Shack Old Orchard location (4999 Old Orchard Shopping Center) will mix vanilla custard and a seasonal slice from Bang Bang for $3.14. At the Chicago Athletic Association location in Chicago (12 S. Michigan Ave.), the Bang Bang Pie Oh My concrete, featuring vanilla custard, salted caramel sauce and a slice of banana cream pie from, you guessed it, Bang Bang Pie, will sell for $3.14 (regularly $4.59). These specials are not available at the River North location. www.shakeshack.com.
Delightful Pastries Check out this fun European bakery that is serving rhubarb, apple and cherry pie for just $3.14 a slice. PLUS, if you are the first customer to enter any location at 3:14 p.m., you will get a slice for FREE .Locations are at 1710 N. Wells St., 5927 W. Lawrence Ave., and 131 N. Clinton St. (inside the Chicago French Market), www.delightfulpastries.com.
Grubhub If you want to get some food delivered, you can still get in on some Pi day freebies! Use the code “PiDay” at checkout on any delivery order placed between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. and Grubhub will donate 3.14% of your order total to NMSI. www.grubhub.com.
Cold Storage Cold Storage will serve up three kinds of pie for $3.14 per slice. If you’re the person who uses pie as a vessel for ice cream, get the Pi(e) Day special “reverse a la mode” sundae with vanilla bean ice cream, apple pie filling and pie crust pieces. 1000 W. Fulton Market (attached to Swift & Sons), www.swiftandsonschicago.com.
Dive Bar Nab a complimentary slice of pie with any dinner menu item 5-10 p.m. at the Lakeview eatery. Don’t forget to mention the secret code: 3.14. (OK, that’s notthat hard to crack.) 3445 N. Halsted St., www.chicagodivebar.com.
Use these Pi Day coupons and freebies all over the country to celebrate math’s biggest day of the year, while saving money at the restaurants you love. Making your own National Pi Day foods is great, but if you’d rather let someone else to the work, check out these Pi Day deals.
- Blaze Pizza: All pizzas are just $3.14 in restaurants nationwide on March 14.
- Casey’s General Store: Get a large three-topping pizza for $12 through March 31 with this printable coupon.
- Chuck E Cheese: Take $2 off a large pizza through March 26 with this printable coupon.
- Domino’s: Use coupon code 9174 to get a large three-topping pizza for $7.99 Monday through Thursday when you order online and pick up in-store.
- Fazoli’s: Order a pizza for carryout or at the drive-thru on Mondays and pay just $6.99 — good thing Pi Day falls on Monday this year.
- Godfather’s Pizza: Save $3 on any regular-priced large pizza through Dec. 31 with this printable coupon.
- Kitchenworks: Use code PIDAY314 to save 15 percent off all pie-related products.
- Papa Gino’s Pizzeria: Use coupon code 5544 or this printable coupon to get a kids meal for $1 with the purchase of any dine-in or carry-out pizza Sunday through Wednesday.
- Papa John’s: Take 25 percent off your entire order with promo code 25OFF through Dec. 31, 2017.
- Penzeys Spices: Get two free 1/4 cup jars of pie spice when you spend $5 through March 14 using coupon code 10737C or this printable coupon.
- Perkin’s: Enjoy a free slice of pie between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m. on Mondays with this printable coupon with the purchase of an entree.
- Village Inn: Get a free slice of pie with the purchase of an adult entree through March 29 using this printable coupon.
- Marie Callender’s: From March 6 to April 3, receive $0.55 off one large pie with this coupon.