If you will be out and about on New Years Eve in Chicago, there are TWO FREE FIREWORKS displays this year-end at Navy Pier and along the Chicago Riverwalk.
CHECK OUT THE RIVERWALK FIREWORKS
The Riverwalk will kick off 2020 and spectators will be delighted by a spectacular Midnight Fireworks Display along the Chicago River. At Midnight on New Year’s Eve the River will come alive with a choreographed fireworks display. The magical display will be FREE for all to ring in the New Year with loved ones in the City’s top restaurants, bars and hotels.
We encourage everyone to enjoy the fireworks at one of our official partner locations. Whether you’re looking to stay in and watch from your hotel room after grabbing a bite to eat or planning to dance the night away with your friends or that special someone, we’ve got you covered.
Where to watch Chicago’s Riverwalk New Year’s Eve fireworks
Spectators will be able to see the inaugural display at multiple locations along the Chicago Riverwalk and lakefront. The lakefront fireworks show will launch from Navy Pier and can be viewed all along the lakeshore. The fireworks will be launched from three barges and four bridges.The river fireworks will be launching from the following points from Wolf Point to Lake Shore Drive:
River bridge launch sites
River barge launch sites
Hyatt Regency Chicago
Sheraton Grand Chicago
For information about the fireworks including viewing locations, please click here to visit the event website.
Traffic Impacts – Street and Sidewalk Closures
To view the neighborhood notification letter, which provides detailed information about street and traffic lane closures, as well as pedestrian traffic impacts, please click here.
From 5:00pm until 1:30am
- Curb lane and sidewalk closures at:
- East side of the LaSalle Street Bridge
- East side of the Clark Street Bridge
- East side of the Dearborn Street Bridge
- East side of the State Street Bridge
- West side of the Franklin/Orleans Street Bridge
- Curb lane and sidewalk closures on eastbound E. Wacker Drive, between 111 E. Wacker Drive and Stetson Avenue
Closure of the Riverwalk to pedestrians
From 11:45pm to 12:15am
- Full closures of bridge for fireworks launch:
- LaSalle Street Bridge
- Clark Street Bridge
- Dearborn Street Bridge
- State Street Bridge
- Franklin/Orleans Street Bridge
Navy Pier Fireworks
Welcome in 2020 with Chicago’s only spectacular lakefront fireworks show on New Year’s Eve! Navy Pier, is the Midwest’s top-visited destination. If you are planning on heading there for New Year’s Eve it’s good to plan ahead and get there early–as the pier closes once capacity is reached. Fireworks on the Pier – Navy Pier New Year’s Eve Fireworks Show pairs music with fireworks, presenting an over 15 minute show–the longest fireworks display in Chicago blasting off at midnight.
In additions to the midnight fireworks, there’s lots to do for those who arrive early.
For more than five weeks, guests can dash through an indoor winter wonderland as Chicago’s iconic lakefront destination transforms its Festival Hall into a dazzling spectacle with 170,000 square feet of holiday-themed fun.
Kicking off on Dec. 6, 2019, and running through Jan. 12, Chicagoland natives and seasonal travelers will have the opportunity to enjoy festive decor, returning favorites and this year’s brand-new attraction, The Wind Chill.
Upon entry, guests will be greeted by abundant winter decorations and a twinkling forest of nearly 500 trees decorated with 25,000 ornaments hung on glittering wire. Dozens of classic rides and attractions will adorn the Festival Hall under shimmering white lights and above a wintery blue carpet, including the Xfinity Ice Skating Rink, Polar Extreme Obstacle Course, Cliff Hanger, Polar Ice Peaks Climbing Walls, Winter WonderWhirl, Kringle Carousel and more. Families are welcome to take a ride around Winter WonderTown on the Arctic Express Train and decorate holiday cookies at the Aquafina Cookie Cottage. The “Sugar Plums” from Aerial Ataraxia will grace Winter WonderFest with dazzling acrobatic performances at 3, 4 and 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
Visit navypier.org/winter-wonderfest for more information and to purchase tickets.
Noon Year’s Eve
Chicago Children’s Museum invites families and their children to celebrate early during their Noon Year’s Eve bash from 10:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. The event will feature a variety of family-friendly festivities, including festive crown-making, the last dance party of 2019 and a multi-colored confetti finale. The event is free with museum admission ($19 for adults and children) and membership.
GENERAL NEW YEAR’S EVE GUEST ADVISORY
Navy Pier is proud to ring in the New Year with several events throughout the Pier, as well as its iconic midnight fireworks presented by Miller Lite!
With large crowds expected on New Year’s Eve, please plan your visit accordingly, including arriving early. For the most up-to-the-minute information regarding New Year’s Eve at Navy Pier, follow us on Twitter at @NavyPier.
For the safety and comfort of all our guests, please read the following important information and plan for your visit accordingly.
All details of the guest advisory policies and guidelines are subject to change.
NAVY PIER OPERATING HOURS
Tuesday, December 31, 2019
Navy Pier Hours on New Year’s Eve: 10 a.m. – 12 a.m.
Fifth Third Bank Winter WonderFest Hours: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks presented by Miller Lite at 12 a.m.
GUEST GUIDELINES AND CODE OF CONDUCT
In addition to the Navy Pier Code of Conduct, for the comfort and safety of all our guests, it is very important to also note and adhere to the following guidelines and policies:
- SECUITY CHECKPOINTS: Guests must pass through a special security checkpoint before being allowed entry to Navy Pier. Multiple inspection points will be located throughout Navy Pier.
- ADMISSION TO FIFTH THIRD BANK WINTER WONDERFEST: Guests 18 years and older must present a valid driver’s license, state ID or Military ID with their paid ticket to enter Fifth Third Bank Winter WonderFest. Any guest under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- POLICY ON BAGS / BACKPACKS / ETC.: Backpacks and any other larger bags of any kind are highly discouraged. ALL bags are subject to inspection.
- PROHIBITED ITEMS / ACTIVITIES: Coolers, bikes, skateboards, rollerblades and skate shoes, and weapons of any kind are not allowed on Navy Pier. As always, NO outside alcohol may be brought to Navy Pier. The preceding prohibitions are in effect year-round, including New Year’s Eve.
- PETS / ANIMALS: Only official service animals are allowed on Navy Pier. NO pets or other animals are permitted on Navy Pier on New Year’s Eve.
- TAXIS/HIRED CAR DROP OFF: Those with reservations to the Chicago Resolution Gala in the Aon Grand Ballroom should direct their driver to entrance 2 at Navy Pier. All other NYE parties (Crystal Gardens NYE and Boat Cruises) should be direct their driver to entrance 1.
- NO RE-ENTRY IF GATES ARE CLOSED: Upon closure due to crowd capacity, re-entry into Navy Pier is not permitted. If you leave Navy Pier property before the gates are closed, you are not guaranteed return access unless you have a ticket or official reservation. It is highly recommended that all parties remain together.
- FOR MORE INFORMATION: For updates throughout the day on New Year’s Eve, follow Navy Pier on Twitter at @NavyPier.
- Navy Pier wishes you a safe and Happy New Year!